4 Secrets for Booking a Disney Cruise

4 Secrets for Booking a Disney Cruise

You’ve heard of Disney World and Disneyland but did you also know you can hang out with Mickey at sea? Disney Cruise Lines was one of the first to offer cruises specifically targeted at families with young children and over the years the popularity has continued to rise.  Disney makes it easy to add a cruise onto your park stay (or vice versa). But it probably isn’t a surprise that taking a Disney cruise can really add up. To get the best experience for your money here are four tips to keep in mind when making your plans.

1. One of the cheapest ways to cruise is by booking an interior, windowless room. If you don’t plan to spend much time in your room then it really doesn’t matter much. But Disney cruises have some “secret porthole rooms” on both Disney’s Magic and Wonder ships. These series of rooms are sold as Category 10, inside staterooms without a window. However, they have a small porthole with an obstructed view. The natural light is a small added bonus, at no additional cost. Ask for 5020, 5520, 5022, 5024, 5522 or 5524. In fact, for families or larger groups it should be noted that 5022 and 5024 adjoin as do 5522 and 5524.

2. Speaking of large families, if you are traveling with a larger family (five or more), Disney and some travel agents will often suggest reserving an expensive stateroom. But this isn’t always the most cost effective option.  Instead be sure to price booking two adjoining rooms in a lower Category (price). This may be less expensive, and more private for parents. Plus you net an extra, all-important bathroom.

3. Whenever you’re booking a cruise you want to consult the onboard map before booking your room. If you are near the elevators, noise from late-night revelers returning to their rooms may keep you up all night in yours. A cabin located directly below a nightclub could make for a fitful night’s sleep. For others a room in the front of the ship can mean more problems with seasickness, so if you’re prone to nausea a room towards the back may help.

4. If you really would love an upgrade, and who doesn’t, as soon as you get on board ask to be upgraded. Even if the ship is booked quite full the ship crew is generally happy to upgrade anyone on a first come, first serve basis.  It never hurts to ask!

The Disney experience on land is replicated on sea – and your onboard experience may be even better. From a cast-full of characters roaming the decks, to fabulous food, and dozens of activities you won’t have a minute to waste. By using a few of these tips you’ll be on your way to a great vacation, with a few extra dollars in your pocket.

Win an Amazon gift card - Sign up for the Escape Newsletter to be automatically entered for the month drawing!
WordPress Author Box

Annemarie is a Mom whose daughter (Robyn) has left the nest and now she is traveling the world experiencing everything the world has to offer. You can find her sipping martinis in some of the most exotics locations in the world, having a beer at her local pub or canoeing on a beautiful lake in the Adirondacks.

Like us on Facebook
on Facebook

Follow @touristmtravel on Twitter
Add me on Google+

30 Comments on this article. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. Allie April 2, 2014 at 3:18 am - Reply

I would love to do a Disney cruise. Maybe a trip for my grandson.

2. Janelle April 2, 2014 at 3:25 am - Reply

I bet a Disney cruise is a lot of fun — not just for kids.

3. Robin (Masshole Mommy) April 2, 2014 at 4:34 am - Reply

This is great to know. We go to Disney World and even hit Disney Land last year, but we’ve never done a Disney cruise. Yet…

4. Pamela April 2, 2014 at 4:35 am - Reply

Sounds like a lot of fun to go on, would love it!

5. Terry April 2, 2014 at 6:02 am - Reply

I have been on many, many cruises before but never a Disney Cruise. Maybe one day we will take our Grandson.

6. Ashley B. April 2, 2014 at 9:58 am - Reply

I keep hearing great things about Disney Cruises, though I admit I’ve never gone on a cruise or have any desire too. My family, on the other hand, go on a ton of cruises!

7. valmg @ Mom Knows It All April 2, 2014 at 10:05 am - Reply

I’d love to go on a Disney cruise! My youngest would love it! I know they are awesome, but they’re just not in my budget at this point.

8. gingermommy April 2, 2014 at 10:11 am - Reply

A Disney cruise is on our bucket list. think the kids would love it, me too of course :) Thanks for the tips (Kim)

9. Tess April 2, 2014 at 12:20 pm - Reply

I think that a Disney Cruise would be fun. Nice to have some tips to take with when we go. : )

10. Aisha Kristine Chong April 2, 2014 at 12:29 pm - Reply

Wow, I didn’t know about this – this would definitely be so much fun, thanks for letting us know!

11. Kristen from The Road to Domestication April 2, 2014 at 12:43 pm - Reply

My husband went on one of these when he was young, and he wants to do another one! I’d like to wait until we have kids and the brave it – I get motion sick SO easy…makes me a bit nervous!

12. Amber Edwards April 2, 2014 at 1:58 pm - Reply

These are fantastic tips! Now I really want to go on a cruise!

13. Amanda Ripsam April 2, 2014 at 2:20 pm - Reply

someday I will be able to go to Disney cruise heck Id love to just go to Disneyland. great advice on cheaper services

14. Erica April 2, 2014 at 2:37 pm - Reply

A Disney Cruise has always been on my bucket list. Looks like such a great time!

15. DD April 2, 2014 at 4:24 pm - Reply

This would be great for our family!

16. Ave April 2, 2014 at 5:29 pm - Reply

Thanks for sharing great tips! Hope that one day we can take the cruise too. I’m sure my daughter would love it.

17. Pam April 2, 2014 at 5:53 pm - Reply

We’ve never been on a Disney cruise. If we ever do, these are great tips to make the most of our experience!

18. becca April 2, 2014 at 6:47 pm - Reply

Taking a Disney cruise is on my to do list.

19. Kristen @ kristenione April 2, 2014 at 8:36 pm - Reply

I have heard such great things about Disney cruises and I really appreciate these tips! These are ones I don’t think you could find just anywhere and definitely things I would have never thought of!

20. Marielle Altenor April 2, 2014 at 8:59 pm - Reply

Great information! I so want to go on a Disney cruise with my family!! Will keep these tips in mind if we ever get the chance to go!

21. Veronica April 2, 2014 at 9:18 pm - Reply

I would love a Disney cruise with my kids. They are older now, but it would still be super fun

22. Liz Mays April 2, 2014 at 10:48 pm - Reply

I would definitely need a window or I’d feel claustrophobic. The secret window rooms would be enough though. Awesome tips.

23. Rosey April 3, 2014 at 9:11 am - Reply

Super great tip on the two rooms. Getting the reduced rate and an extra bathroom? Yeah, that’s a double win!

24. Tough Cookie Mommy April 3, 2014 at 3:06 pm - Reply

These are some great tips because I have been talking to my husband about going on a Disney Cruise and we would love to save a little money.

25. Jennifer Williams April 3, 2014 at 9:27 pm - Reply

Those are great tips for the rooms. It is the same for hotels too, we just traveled and stayed in a place with adjoining rooms because the suites that could accommodate our family were a lot more than two separate rooms.

26. Ashley Gill April 4, 2014 at 9:44 am - Reply

I want to go on a Disney Cruise so bad! I’ve never been on a cruise, but someday I will!

27. Amanda Love April 4, 2014 at 6:28 pm - Reply

I so needed this post. I’m actually thinking of doing a Disney Cruise in the next year or two so need all the tips I can get. Thanks for sharing these.

28. Erin May 2, 2014 at 4:46 pm - Reply

My kids would love to go on a Disney cruise. Big boats freak me out though.

29. DD May 8, 2014 at 1:55 pm - Reply

Big boats also freak me out too Erin.

Leave A Response