5 Vital Travel Tips for Parents – Family Trips Made Easy

5 Vital Travel Tips for Parents - Family Trips Made Easy

Traveling solo can be a challenge, but traveling with kids can be mission impossible. These 5 vital travel tips for parents will help make family trips easy or, at the very least, help you keep a tight grip on your sanity. Beyond the bag of entertainment for long plane or car rides, these travel tips will help your family adventure go a little smoother and even save you some cash!

Related: Group Travel Tips – Plan a Family or Friend-Filled Vacation

Reserve a Bassinet For Baby

If you are traveling with an infant on an international flight, you can reserve a bassinet for your tiny tot. The bassinet attaches to the wall located by the bulkhead seats. Most, but not all, international flights offer this service, but you must reserve one in advance. To take advantage of this arm-saving offer, call to book your flight and request to reserve a bassinet. It’s highly recommended you do this as far in advance as possible to ensure you get a snag a spot. Also, remind the crew when you board you reserved a bassinet.

Hotel Baby-Ready

When you call to book your room directly (because you are such a savvy traveler) make sure you let the staff know of any needs for cribs or any special needs in advance. Traveling during peak seasons can exhaust a hotel’s supply of cribs and extra cots. Requesting a crib in advance will help, but not guarantee, your chances of getting one.

Save On Strollers

One of my favorite money saving tips for Disney trips is saving on strollers. You can rent lovely strollers in the parks for upwards of $30 a day…yes…a day. However, if you have access to a car, you can make a quick stop at store and purchase a travel-friendly umbrella stroller for almost have the cost! During out last visit to the Magical Kingdom, we stopped by a Walmart on the way to our hotel and picked up a super-cute Snow White umbrella stroller for $18. You can also bring a stroller to have stowed on the plane ride, but you might run into additional fees. Whatever you do, don’t think you can get by without one when you plan on trekking across Disney or any other venue that requires tons of energy, walking, and action. Your “big kid” might refuse to ride, but he will suddenly find his stroller appreciation after a long day.

Related: Family Travelers Reveal Secrets to Making Vacations Happier

Plastic Bags and Baby Wipes

These two things are in my purse, my car, my husband’s car, my diaper bag, and stashed around the house. Messes happen, and baby wipes are the gift to parents that clean up everything from sticky fingers to accidents. They also are great to wipe down germ-covered tray tables on planes. The plastic bags come in handy for anything from mid-flight stinky diapers, impromptu trash cans, to a way to hang a smart phone from the tray table hook on the plane ride (no arguments over who gets to hold the phone).

Be Gratuitous

Some people go above and beyond to help families. In one instance, my family arrived at a Chicago hotel significantly later than we had planned; missing some fun things we had planned. The kids were bummed and despite my best efforts at being positive, I couldn’t rally their spirits. The bellman at our hotel had them ready to tackle the city the next day after sharing some trivia about the hotel, letting them ride the luggage cart down the halls, and even having extra coffee sent up for me and my husband to revive our spirits. Of course, we tipped him well and he was a friend and an amazing source for us the entire weekend. Be thankful and show it with tips or calls to the manager to praise the specific employee.

1. Robin Rue (@massholemommy) says

I brought a stroller with me when I traveled. The airlines happily stowed them for us and that saved me lots in rental costs.

2. Jenn says

These are great tips! My favourite is BABY WHIPS!! I don’t go anywhere with out them!! I think it makes a hotel so much more valuable when they offer a baby prep service! Less to worry about as a Mom!

3. Jeanette says

I have traveled a few times with just my son and all these pointers are spot on! You need that stroller for sure. I bought an umbrella stroller when I got to where I was going and it was the best investment I ever made.

4. Melissa says

Snacks are always a must have when we are on a trip. I get things that my kids view as a treat so that I know that it will for sure work in case of a uncontrollable child.

5. Alli says

My daughter always takes activity packets for her kids so they won’t get bored on the plane. These are all great travel tips, especially the one about the bassinet.

6. Dina says

I have older kids and I still use baby wipes and keep them in my purse. Great tips to keep travelling with kids.

7. Amanda says

You are so incredibly right about bringing TONS of plastic bags (I feel like we moms use them for everything) and being super kind. That way people are always ready to help out your family.

These are super helpful ideas. You really have to do some extra prep when you’re planning on taking a trip with the kids.

9. Mistee Dawn says

These are really great tips! Definitely some things to keep in mind when I take our daughter on her first trip!

10. ricci says

This is a great post with great tips! I don’t have kids yet but when I do I will have to remember this post!!

11. Chubskulit Rose says

I love whenhotel employees are very nice especially with kids. Thanks for these great tips!

12. rika says

great tips.. i miss traveling with my kids. Not the easiest thing to do but fun

13. Nikki says

These are great tips, we have a lot of travel this year and this could help.

14. Ourfamilyworld says

These are great tips. Bringing a stroller that is not so heavy is a great idea.

15. Crystal & Comp says

Love these tips. Perfect for traveling families. I had no idea you could reserve a bassinet for international flights. What a great idea!

16. Melissa says

The last time we traveled with a baby, we could have used these tips! These are great!

17. Jeanine says

We don’t travel ever. But it’s in the cards for the near future so these will be great to know. Any way to make things easier I’m all for!

18. Ann Bacciaglia says

I never knew you could get a bassinet on certain flights. It would be so much easier to find a hotel that has a crib in the room.

19. Chrystal | Nevermore Lane says

Kiddo is 10 and she’s a bit out of the baby stage. But these are still some great trips. She has no fear and will roam if you dont watch her and keep her close.

20. Britni says

These are all great tips! I don’t need cribs or strollers anymore but I don’t think anyone ever gets to the point of not needing wet wipes! I make sure to always have wet wipes and ziplock bags available when traveling. My kids get motion sick, way better to come prepared!

21. Uplifting Families says

They used to allow you to gate check an umbrella stroller. I’m not sure if that still applies. But even if you only use it at the parks, maybe you can donate to another family.

22. lisa says

These are great tips. We didn’t fly with our little ones, but we did take road trips. It’s always an interesting thing to travel with little ones!

23. Betsy @ Happily Ever After, Etc. says

Wow $30 a day for a stroller? That’s crazy! Great tip to stop and pick one up!! Love all of your tips especially the bassinet for the airplane, who knew?

24. Tiany - Social Savvy Mom says

Agreed! All great tips! When going to Disney World we always rent a large double stroller, they drop it off at our hotel and pick it up the day we leave, so great!

25. Angie Scheie says

I don’t have kids yet, but travel sounds pretty stressful with them in tow. I once saw a lady completely lose it going through bag check! These are some great tips, and mostly new to me so thank you!

26. lisa @bitesforbabies says

These are great tips! I’ve traveled to Italy every summer with my kids since they were born so I have quite a few tips and tricks up my sleeve, lol!

27. Chantal says

I had no idea that you could reserve a bassinet! Very cool! Great travel tips!

28. Mimi "MimiCuteLips" Green says

Great tips, I’m so happy my kids are past the baby stage. I would pack so many things for them out of fear or forgetting something I would need. Requesting a crib at the hotel was almost the best thing ever.