10 Things You Didn’t Know About Hawaii

Hawaii-kittyHello TMT Readers, my name is Kitty Bradshaw, newest contributor to the TMT Family.  Currently I am in Honolulu, Hawaii for 6 weeks on holiday.  During my time here, I will be sharing my travel tips and reviews to help make your Hawaiian Vacation planning less stressful.  Today’s post is all about fun facts about the island to give you a little background beyond the beautiful beaches and perfect temperatures.

1. The top 2 principle tourist groups that visit the islands of Hawai’i are the United States and Japan. Over the last few years there has been an increase in travel from Canada, Australia and China.

2. The Japanese are #2 in travel to Hawai’I, but are #1 when it comes to spending money so when you visit Hawai’i, a lot of the shops and restaurants are geared towards the Japanese market. I was surprised to find this out upon my arrival. Most of the restaurants here are either Japanese, Chinese, Thai, or Vietnamese.

3. The debate on who discovered Hawai’I is ongoing. Captain James Cook claims to have discovered Hawaii, in which he named the Sandwich Islands, after his sponsor, the 4th Earl of Sandwich, in 1778. Then we have the Spanish claiming to have discovered the Hawaiian Islands while traveling between Mexico and the Philippines in the 16th Century- 1555 to be exact. No one knows for sure, and there isn’t any concrete facts to prove one way or another.

4. Hawaii or Hawai’I is the name of 9 islands clustered together in the Pacific Ocean. The names are Maui, Oʻahu, Kahoʻolawe, Lanaʻi, Molokaʻi, Kauaʻi, Niʻihau, Kaʻula, and The Big Island bka Hawai’i.

5. Hawai’i became a part of the United States on August 21, 1959.

6. Hawai’i is the only US state made up solely of islands.

7. Hawai’I and Arizona are the only 2 US states that do not observe daylight saving time. Ok so this fact really messed with me as we had just had our spring time change shortly before I arrived here in Hawaii. Boarding the plane, I thought there was only a 2 hour difference… but I learned 4 hours in that there was actually a 3 hour difference from Pacific Standard Time. My ignorance of the time difference led to what seemed to be the longest plane ride of my life, loll.

8. Most of Hawaii has only two seasons: bikini season from May to October, and windbreaker season from October to April. Honestly, the weather stays perfect year round.

9. Owyhee is the original name and spelling of Hawai’i. A county in Idaho adopted the name after three Hawaiian trappers went missing in the area.

10. In January 1893, Queen Liliʻuokalani was forced to give up her thrown by a Provisional Government which later became the Republic of Hawaii. She was the last monarch of Hawaii.

Win an Amazon gift card - Sign up for the Escape Newsletter to be automatically entered for the month drawing!
WordPress Author Box

Kitty is an Online Influencer and Web Socialite that has been blogging for over 16 years. Upon moving to New York, she created a new, local blog which evolved into an online business called KittyBradshaw.com, and has since branded herself across the web. Over the last 5 years she has used the name Kitty Bradshaw to broker contracts and brand ambassadorships with Gap, Toyota, and currently Best Buy Electronics and General Motors. Kitty has written for the Wendy Williams Show blog, hosted events for McDonald’s Corporation, and Johnson & Johnson. She has also worked with Bacardi Mixers, which led to her own signature drink called “The Kitty Bradshaw”. Black Enterprise featured Bradshaw as one of the top African American bloggers in the country, and she was recently featured on Technorati. Bradshaw’s motto is, “Conquer New York, conquer the world.”

Like us on Facebook
on Facebook

Follow @kittybradshaw on Twitter
Add me on Google+
on Google+

41 Comments on this article. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. Robin (Masshole Mommy) March 27, 2014 at 4:52 pm - Reply

I did know that Hawai’i is the only US state made up solely of islands, but the rest of the stuff I didn’t know. I learned something new!

• Kitty Bradshaw March 27, 2014 at 7:09 pm - Reply

Well you beat me by one… I didn’t know any of that stuff loll.

2. becca March 27, 2014 at 6:42 pm - Reply

I didn’t know any of this but my son did. however now i want to go for sure. Thank you for teaching me something new.

• Kitty Bradshaw March 27, 2014 at 7:10 pm - Reply

Becca, just drop everything and come now. It is peaceful like a dream here :)

3. Gingermommy March 27, 2014 at 7:17 pm - Reply

Lots of cool facts. I loved visiting there as a teen. Amazing place. (Kim)

4. Erica March 27, 2014 at 7:27 pm - Reply

You were right. I didn’t have a clue about any of this. My cousin actually is Hawaiian and recently moved to New England from Hawaii. I have always wanted ot go there!

5. Sarah Bailey March 27, 2014 at 9:01 pm - Reply

I have to admit I didn’t know any of that – I would love to visit Hawaii one day :) x

6. Denise Gabbard March 27, 2014 at 9:32 pm - Reply

That really long plane ride is the reason we have not been to the islands. Just flying from the midwest to California made me crazy….anybody over 5 feet tall must be so uncomfortable on that long of a flight.

7. Nikki March 27, 2014 at 9:39 pm - Reply

I have never been to Hawaii and this makes me want to go even more.

8. Angelic Sinova March 27, 2014 at 11:15 pm - Reply

This was such an interesting read. Until though I’m from Chicago my mother lived in Hawaii for many years. She often talks about Maui and Oʻahu.

9. Pamela March 28, 2014 at 4:15 am - Reply

Hawaii looks so beautiful, would love to visit some day.

10. American Punjaban PI March 28, 2014 at 7:27 am - Reply

Very interesting facts! I knew a few of them but most of them were completely new to me.

11. Shiny March 28, 2014 at 8:05 am - Reply

Hawaii is my number one must visit spot before I die.

12. Scott March 28, 2014 at 8:09 am - Reply

I knew a few of these already, but most of them I didn’t! I’ve learned something new today, back to bed!

13. BusyBee March 28, 2014 at 9:34 am - Reply

I wish I was there with you Kitty! I could really take in some “windbreaker season” right now.

• Kitty Bradshaw March 29, 2014 at 6:44 am - Reply

Awww I wish you were here too! Well I will be back near you in May; start planning the reunion now! :)

14. DD March 28, 2014 at 10:11 am - Reply

I have never been to Hawaii. Interesting facts.

15. Terry March 28, 2014 at 10:50 am - Reply

I get to choose in 2016 where we will be going on vacation for 3 months. Hawaii is one I am thinking of. The only draw back, is the long plane ride over. Once we get there… if we go, it will be fun in the sun.

16. Kristen from The Road to Domestication March 28, 2014 at 2:34 pm - Reply

We’ve always said when we finish paying off our student loans we’re gonna celebrate by going to Hawaii! Great post!

17. Marni | Love and Duck Fat March 28, 2014 at 2:40 pm - Reply

I just came back from Puerto Rico and they don’t celebrate daylight saving either. It was confusing!

18. Veronica March 28, 2014 at 3:15 pm - Reply

Those are indeed little know facts about Hawaii. thanks for the education. I always enjoy learning new things

19. valmg @ Mom Knows It All March 28, 2014 at 5:23 pm - Reply

I’ve always wanted to go to Hawaii. Maybe some day. I didn’t know most of those facts.

20. Pam March 28, 2014 at 5:59 pm - Reply

I knew a few of these facts. My Dad was sent to work in Hawaii three different times for several months at a time back in the 60s. I will always remember that …the pictures, the things he brought back and all of the stories. His company also paid for my mom to visit him there and she had great stories to tell us too.

21. Jennifer Williams March 28, 2014 at 7:52 pm - Reply

The time difference always gets me and I have not been to Hawaii. I never realized that other countries did not visit there as much as the US and Japan, that really surprises me as I thought everyone wanted to go there.

22. Maria March 28, 2014 at 9:15 pm - Reply

I want to go possibly next summer. Crossing fingers and saying little prayers.

• Kitty Bradshaw March 29, 2014 at 6:47 am - Reply

Maria, I hope that you are able to make it here. You will be blown away by the atmosphere.

23. Liz Mays March 29, 2014 at 12:10 am - Reply

I had totally forgotten about the time change difference there with DST. I hope to get there one day!

24. Katie March 29, 2014 at 8:14 am - Reply

oh…Hawaii! I would love to go there! great facts you shared. I definitely learned something new!

25. Rosey March 29, 2014 at 9:09 am - Reply

Those are some interesting facts. I love that the weather’s just always good!

26. Ashley B. March 29, 2014 at 10:22 am - Reply

I love learning new things about places I want to travel too, especially Hawaii. Now I just need to go there!

27. Melanie March 29, 2014 at 12:06 pm - Reply

I knew some of these, yay! I was taught well I think, either that or I just like random facts. The other facts, interesting. I would love to go there

28. Mitzi March 29, 2014 at 1:41 pm - Reply

I love it there and if LA weather keeps playing around the way it’s been this last year or so, I’ll have to move west!

29. Aisha Kristine Chong March 29, 2014 at 5:12 pm - Reply

This is totally new found learning for me. I have always wanted to go to Hawaii but know so little about it, thanks for sharing.

30. Babita@BabsProjects March 29, 2014 at 7:06 pm - Reply

Hawaii is on my bucket list of places to visit. You have mentioned very interesting and helpful facts. Thanks for the information.

31. Erin March 29, 2014 at 11:05 pm - Reply

I need another trip to Hawaii. Its such a beautiful place.

32. Allie March 31, 2014 at 3:06 am - Reply

This is one place I’ve yet to travel, and I would love to plan a trip. So beautiful.

33. Janelle March 31, 2014 at 3:07 am - Reply

Lovely place, lots of things I didn’t know! Love learning about new places.

34. Pamela April 28, 2014 at 8:10 am - Reply

I had no idea about that time difference one, that is just confusing!

35. Erin May 2, 2014 at 4:43 pm - Reply

Cool, I didn’t know quite a few of those. I love learning the history and tidbits about places.

Leave A Response