10 Comfort Foods Everyone Should Eat In Scotland

10 Comfort Foods Everyone Should Eat In Scotland
If you’re heading over to Scotland this year, there are a few things you ought to know. This part of the UK is truly beautiful, complete with rolling hills and scenic views. Still, one of the best things about the place its delicious comfort food. From the well-known haggis to the utterly addictive tattie scones, here are the things you have to taste for yourself.

1. A deep-fried Mars bar

There’s no way that you can go all the way to Scotland and not sample one of these fine… delicacies. Essentially, this is just a Mars bar (chocolate bar) covered in batter and popped in a deep-fat fryer. It may sound disgusting, but it’s sweet, warm, and delicious.

1. Tattie scones

You will usually find these little beauties on your cooked breakfast, and they are well worth trying! Crispy on the outside and fluffy in the middle, these potato cakes are modish and addictive. Once you try them, you’ll be craving more.

1. Fish and chips

Often people associate a good old fashioned bag of fish and chips with places further south than Scotland. While the meal is synonymous with England, you can find it almost everywhere in the UK. Make sure that ask how fresh the fish is before you buy it. Trust me, it will make all the difference if you get the catch of the day.

1. Haggis

Definitely the most famous Scottish food out there, Haggis is a comforting treat that you have to try. Consisting of sheep’s liver, heart, and a whole load of oats, this is not a dish for the faint of stomach. Give it a go… You just might like it.

1. Shortbread

Shortbread is something of a staple over in Scotland. These small, hard, butter-based cookies are as tasty as they sound. Don’t miss out!

1. Lorne sausage (or square sausage)

This is just what it sounds like – a sausage that comes in square form. It’s a traditional part of Scottish breakfast and is usually spiced to perfection. Yes, it’s a little indulgent, but you won’t regret it.

1. Black pudding

Many people are put off when they hear what black pudding actually is. It’s a ‘blood sausage’ which means that a large proportion of it is made of… you guessed it… blood. Don’t let that sway your opinion, though. Once you try this tasty treat, you will never go back.

1. Tablet

If you’ve got something of a sweet-tooth, here’s a snack that you don’t want to avoid. Tablet is a totally unique type of candy made from condensed milk, butter, and sugar. You can grab it in most Scottish confectionary stores!

1. Cullen Skink

Despite the rather weird sounding name here, Cullen Skink is actually a type of soup. If potatoes, leeks, and fish are up your street, you will adore this winter-warming meal.

1. Munchy box

Okay, this final one is a little ‘out there’, I’ll admit that. Still, if you want something that’s seriously OTT, you have to ask for a Munchy box. Many takeaways in Scotland offer these dishes, but they tend to vary a whole lot. The box basically has all the junk food you could wish for, from pizza and pakoras to fries and noodles, packed in one place. Not the healthiest of meals but worth a try all the same.

My husband and I have actually had haggis, and it’s so good! People really should give it a try. We’ll have to have a deep fried Mars bar next time we go.

2. Colleen Lanin says

OMG, I’m SO hungry now! I love Scottish food. It’s so hearty. In fact, Scotland is just about my favorite area in Europe for nom noms.

3. Kristi says

Ah brings back memories wandering Scotland when I was in College. Such a great place to visit for many reasons but yes the food is always the top of the list.

4. Shell says

I’d probably hesitate a little on the haggis and black pudding, but I’d try everything else! I like to try new foods when I travel.

5. Jaime says

I love comfort foods and visiting new places. Scotland would be amazing, I’m sure! I think I would try almost everything on your list.

6. Pam says

I love shortbread! That would definitely be on my must try list along with the fish and chips.

Ah, I’ll have to keep these in mind. I do want to make it to Scotland. Cullen Skink would be a new one and I’d like to try Tablet too.

8. Our Family World says

im very interested in Scotland! i heard food there are the best. i wish i can bite one! lol

9. Janell Poulette says

My family is from Scotland so these foods are all very familiar to me. We love the scones and shortbread here on a regular basis.

10. Amanda Love says

You will know a country better when you try their food so why skip it especially if it’s all about comfort food! These are all worth checking out.

11. Jenaine says

a deep fried mars bar? Oh my goodness. Yes, please would love to give that a try! These all sound neat, would love to visit Scotland!

12. makeba says

These are some great suggestions! I’ve never been to Scotland, but I’ll be bookmarking this for when my husband and I travel there! Thanks for sharing!

13. Dawn McAlexander says

We tried fish and chips while we were on a British cruise ship a couple of years ago. It was really good and I would love to try it again.

14. Rosey says

My husband tried haggis. He would not try the blood pudding though. 😉 Scotland was the first place I tried scones.

15. Reesa Lewandowski says

Shortbread is my favorite. I have never heard of some of these things though like Haggis!

16. GiGi Eats says

Ohhhh I ate HAGGIS and I LOVED IT – LOVED IT I tell you! Man, I dream about that deliciousness – ha!